Sunday, January 01, 2006

Happy New Year 2006


Many parts of the U.S. celebrate the new year by consuming black-eyed peas. These legumes are typically accompanied by either hog jowls or ham. Black-eyed peas and other legumes have been considered good luck in many cultures. The hog, and thus its meat, is considered lucky because it symbolizes prosperity. Cabbage is another "good luck" vegetable that is consumed on New Year's Day. Cabbage leaves are also considered a sign of prosperity, being representative of paper currency. In some regions, rice is a lucky food that is eaten on New Year's Day.

This year I followed tradition and ate a New Years Day dinner with my friends.
We had black eyed pea with ham, cabbage in red sauce, pork roast and rice. This year I was brave and tried a little bit of everything. I made no New Years Resolutions other than to take each day as it comes.
Happy New Year to all.

1 comment:

Jerri said...

You are a wiser woman than I Bev!
I always paint myself into one corner or another with my New Year's resolutions...
Resolving to take each day as it comes and to lovingly live each moment, sounds like a magnificent recipe for good living!
PS-I love black eyed peas!